These days, there are so many painting and construction scams that you just don’t know who you can trust. It is so important to find the right contractor when you are planning to paint your home or business. By following 10 simple steps, you can rest assured that you have selected a reputable and experienced painting contractor.
- The first thing you should do is to get prepared. You need to make a list of the things that need to be accomplished on the project. Make certain you include the exact areas to be painted, the color and gloss level of the paint to be used, and the expected completion date.
- Thoroughly research the painting companies you are interested in. Reputable contractors have a list of satisfied customers that are more than happy to serve as references. Once you get the references, actually call them. You may even want to visit some homes that the company has painted recently, as well as within the past several years. By viewing homes painted several years ago, you will be able to see how well the paint has stood up.
- Get several estimates and find out if a company plans to subcontract any of the work. If so, you will want to research these as well.
- Ask what the painting process is for each contractor. Does he take care to professionally prime and finish the selected area? Also, what will he do to protect the furniture and miscellaneous items you have in or outside of your home?
- What kind of paint does the company use? You want topnotch paint because it will last longer.
- Find out if the contractor offers any warranty protection. Some cover materials and labor, while others only include the cost of materials.
Discover if the painter has full insurance to cover any damage that may occur in your home and furniture.
- Another consideration is the professionalism of the company. Is the contractor appropriately dressed? Is he well mannered and knowledgeable? The way a person behaves often indicates the type of work they will do.
- Make your expectations very clear. You don’t want to shell out the big bucks and then get something less than you wanted.
- Finally, get it in writing. You will want expected costs, start date and end date. You may even consider asking for the type and quality of paint to be listed.
Choosing a contractor to paint your home or business is very important. You want to find the very best. Use these 10 steps to selecting a painting contractor, and you will undoubtedly find a reliable, experienced painting company.